Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can we take the required post 70 1/2 IRA distribution entirely out of my IRA which is larger and leave my wife's IRA alone for this tax year?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Can we take the required post 70 1/2 IRA distribution entirely out of my IRA which is larger and leave my wife's IRA alone for this tax year?

No, that is not permitted.  IRAs are accounts owned by individuals.  Each individual must separately satisfy their own RMD by taking distributions from their own accounts.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

No, that is not permitted.  IRAs are accounts owned by individuals.  Each individual must separately satisfy their own RMD by taking distributions from their own accounts.

However, if your wife if not 70 1/2 years of age yet and HAS NOT started taking the required minimum distribution (RMD) then she is not compelled to take a distribution this year. If like "superuser" has indicated she has started her RMD last year or earlier, then she will have to take another RMD again this year.
dmertz
Level 15

I interpreted the question as asking if wife's RMD could be satisfied by a distribution from husband's IRA, and the answer to that is No.

So did I.

Fair enough!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies