turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

UtahDrew

Why am I getting the error:"Your already have entered amounts for this state or locality" when I try to enter just one 1099-G tax refund?

There is a known issue when entering multiple 1099-Gs but I am only trying to enter one

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Why am I getting the error:"Your already have entered amounts for this state or locality" when I try to enter just one 1099-G tax refund?

Yes...there is a maddening bug for that for some people's files:

That "can" happen if there is a value in column "e" of the Federal Carryover Worksheet, but seems to happen to some folks with nothing there.  (if you do have a value in "e" then there may be some explaining to do on your part...but it can happen)

1)  Go to the Carry-Over Worksheet In Forms Mode:

2)  Down the left side of the worksheet  (Below that b,c,d,e,f,g table) are a bunch of boxes.

3)  The very last one is labeled "2016 State Tax Refund Information":
............on the first line  of that box (some data may already be there)  enter your state, the "d" value, and the 1099-G refund as the last entry.  (Example for NC below)

that "should" fix it

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Yes...there is a maddening bug for that for some people's files:

That "can" happen if there is a value in column "e" of the Federal Carryover Worksheet, but seems to happen to some folks with nothing there.  (if you do have a value in "e" then there may be some explaining to do on your part...but it can happen)

1)  Go to the Carry-Over Worksheet In Forms Mode:

2)  Down the left side of the worksheet  (Below that b,c,d,e,f,g table) are a bunch of boxes.

3)  The very last one is labeled "2016 State Tax Refund Information":
............on the first line  of that box (some data may already be there)  enter your state, the "d" value, and the 1099-G refund as the last entry.  (Example for NC below)

that "should" fix it

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
UtahDrew

Thanks for the fast reply. I do have an amount in column E. I overpaid and the state refunded some money plus interest. The refund doesn't matter because I don't itemize but they reported 3.45 in interest. What is the best way to handle this?

Yeah..that can happen too:

You create a separate 1099-INT for the State DOR on the Wages&Income page, with the $3.45 in box 1 of that form.  it will probably round down to $3...but put it all in anyhow.
UtahDrew

Thank you so much.
tedcrum

No more work-arounds - just fix Turbotax!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies