turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

beauc1jm

How can I tell if I have an IRA or Roth IRA? I know i contribute to a 401K, does that count?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
AnnaB

How can I tell if I have an IRA or Roth IRA? I know i contribute to a 401K, does that count?

No, a 401(k) is not considered an IRA; although, it is a tax-advantaged retirement account.

An IRA (individual retirement arrangement) has to be specifically opened and contributed to through a financial institution.  This is done with your after-tax paycheck dollars and is completely independent of your work salaries and wages.

When you put money into an IRA, you indicate whether you would like to open a Traditional IRA or a Roth IRA.  Depending on eligibility, Traditional IRA's may be tax-deductible; however, the entire amount is taxed when you take the money out.  On the other hand, contributions to a Roth IRA are not deductible, but the entire amount will not be taxed when you take it out at retirement.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
AnnaB

No, a 401(k) is not considered an IRA; although, it is a tax-advantaged retirement account.

An IRA (individual retirement arrangement) has to be specifically opened and contributed to through a financial institution.  This is done with your after-tax paycheck dollars and is completely independent of your work salaries and wages.

When you put money into an IRA, you indicate whether you would like to open a Traditional IRA or a Roth IRA.  Depending on eligibility, Traditional IRA's may be tax-deductible; however, the entire amount is taxed when you take the money out.  On the other hand, contributions to a Roth IRA are not deductible, but the entire amount will not be taxed when you take it out at retirement.

Can you. Please. Locate it;

For. Me

Thank you

Mr.luna

@LAWRENCELUNA77 

This is a public forum ... no one here can do anything for you even if we knew what you were talking about. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies