Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

For a NJ return, how do I subtract the portion of a 403B distribution that represents after-tax (for NJ, not for Federal purposes) contributions?

The 1099-R does not indicate the amount, although I placed the correct taxable amount in the last Turbotax field labelled Taxable State amount.  The NJ form however is not picking that up and continues to use the Federal amount of the distribution (which was pre-tax_ and on which taxes are owed on the full amount.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

For a NJ return, how do I subtract the portion of a 403B distribution that represents after-tax (for NJ, not for Federal purposes) contributions?

NJ tax return provides for that only for IRAs.

If you want the recovery you have to override and file a paper return.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

@fred.phelps   where is :last field "taxable State Amount"? I don't see that on 1099-R entry.

I'm not looking at the page at the moment, but the field appeared at the end of each of my 1099-R pages in Turbo Tax.  However, it made no difference in the one 1099-R that had a significant deduction for taxes previously paid on contributions.

NJ tax return provides for that only for IRAs.

If you want the recovery you have to override and file a paper return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies