Solved: My OPM 1099R (Rev 1/2017) boxes 7a & 7b don't exist, only box 7. I also don't believe this income is part of an RMD. Would you advise?

My OPM 1099R (Rev 1/2017) boxes 7a & 7b don't exist, only box 7. I also don't believe this income is part of an RMD. Would you advise?

Box 7a and 7b is the same as just box 7 on your form... it simply refers to multiple codes in box 7... so, if you have only one code in box 7, just enter it in box 7a... if you have two codes on your form in box 7, you would enter them separately - once code as 7a and 2nd code as 7b. 

As to the RMD question - All retirement accounts, even pensions and annuities, must meet the RMD requirements. However, the way the pension plans meet the RMD requirements is by creating an annuity paid periodically.  You may simply select YES to the RMD question (Was this withdrawal RMD and all of this was RMD).  You will also be asked if the amount reported is paid periodically in equal amounts.  By selecting YES the RMD requirements are met and you may continue with the tax preparation.

Note: You are not asking about this... but just in case...TurboTax has a separate entry for the OPM, please be sure to enter our form in the right section:

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Wages & Income
  3. Scroll down and select IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans. On the screen Tell Us Which 1099-R you Have please be sure to select  CSA -1099-R Civil Service annuity or CSF-1099-R Civil Service survivor Annuity. Select Continue and you will see automatically filled in information on OPM. Select Continue again and you will see Enter Annuity Information screen. You will be prompted to data entry and additional questions about your annuity. Please be sure to enter all information – including your contributions- exactly as it appears on the form. This will ensure proper calculation of the taxable amount.

1. Federal Taxes
  2. Wages & Income

Thanks Margaret, however I boxes 7a & 7b do not appear on the 1099R referenced in my query.

You should have box 7... don't you? Whatever code you have in box 7 - please put it in box 7a...

All 7a and b means is that you can enter multiple codes from your form...

Yes I do have box 7, so I believe we're good.  Thank you.  Don

You are welcome and good luck in 2017!

My CSA1099R has 'NONDISABILITY' IN Box 7.  Turbo Tax Box 7a and Box 7b do not have that selection in either Box. I am aware that I can enter it in either Box but the selection is not available. Thanks!