regina-palmertre

My Mom is 82 and only taxable income was mandatory IRA withdrawal and taxes were withheld. Does she have to file taxes if that’s only income?

Assuming that she would be filing as Single, if her total gross income was less than $13,850 she would not need to file a tax return.  However to get a tax refund of the taxes withheld she should file a tax return.

Also, if she received Social Security income, some of the SS income may be taxable.  You should complete a tax return for her to see the actual numbers and see if she is required to file.

Up to 85% of Social Security Retirement/Disability/Survivors benefits becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security reaches:

• Married Filing Jointly - $32,000
  • Single or Head of Household - $25,000
  • Married Filing Separately - 0

State filing requirements may be different.