turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

btkiker

My minor has earned income (2200) & inv inc from a custodial account (500). Should we file his own return & include the brokerage? only get $33 back & turbo tax is $99!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
MayaD
Expert Alumni

My minor has earned income (2200) & inv inc from a custodial account (500). Should we file his own return & include the brokerage? only get $33 back & turbo tax is $99!

Yes. You dependent should file a return because his Unearned income is over $350 AND gross income of more than $1100

Edited [03/26/2020, (10:33 AM  PST)]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
user76052

I don’t think that is correct. As noted his unearned  income from his custodial brokerage is $500! 

The 2200 is Earned income from a w-2. 

SusanY1
Expert Alumni

The earned income of $2,200 is part of the gross income.  Since he meets the criteria of having both more than $350 in unearned income and total gross income, which includes the earned income, of more than $1,100, a return is required to be filed. 

Try this link, where he should be able to file the return for free: FreeFile delivered by Intuit TurboTax.

user76052

Why do all the websites I google say the minimum for a single status filer is income of $12,200? He only made 2k. I’m so confused why he’s required to file! 

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Your minor is not a single status filer. Your minor is filing as being claimed by another. Huge difference there. Please visit the IRS and take a short, anonymous, online quiz to verify your questions and answers. Scroll to the bottom and click Begin at Do I Need to File a Tax Return?  For a full list of quizzes available, see IRS ITA.

@user76052

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies