Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My IRA dist. form 1099-R shows I was taxed 10% but turbotax tells me I need to pay the tax. Don't want to pay it twice, what do I do?

I withdrew an IRA in 2017 that had been sitting with no contributions for about 2 yrs.  At the time of withdrawal, I had them hold 10% tax as advised by the financial institution.  When I enter the IRA 1099-R on my taxes form, the tax amount is shown on the form and in turbo tax but turbo tax says I still need to pay 10% tax, which it shows as the same amount I paid.  Am I being taxed twice for the same amount?  How can I verify that i'm not?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My IRA dist. form 1099-R shows I was taxed 10% but turbotax tells me I need to pay the tax. Don't want to pay it twice, what do I do?

First, if you are under 59 1/2 years of age, there is an early distribution penalty. Since it is also 10%, I can't tell if this applies to you or not. This penalty is in addition to any income tax that you owe on the distribution.

Since the financial institution probably has no idea of your personal tion, the 10% is usually just a guess for withholding - that's why many use 20% instead.

Second, the tax collected on the distribution does not directly pay your tax on the distribution. Instead, it is held by the IRS as a credit against the tax calculated for your return. So the distribution will be taxed independently of any withholding on your return, and at the end of the 1040, the amount of withholding from all sources (1099-R, SSA-1099, W-2, etc) will be applied to the tax.

View solution in original post

4 Replies

First, if you are under 59 1/2 years of age, there is an early distribution penalty. Since it is also 10%, I can't tell if this applies to you or not. This penalty is in addition to any income tax that you owe on the distribution.

Since the financial institution probably has no idea of your personal tion, the 10% is usually just a guess for withholding - that's why many use 20% instead.

Second, the tax collected on the distribution does not directly pay your tax on the distribution. Instead, it is held by the IRS as a credit against the tax calculated for your return. So the distribution will be taxed independently of any withholding on your return, and at the end of the 1040, the amount of withholding from all sources (1099-R, SSA-1099, W-2, etc) will be applied to the tax.

Thank you!  That answered my question
hjtax85

Why is there an additional tax on #23 when I put the distribution in another place?

MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Line 23 on Form 1040 is for an Additional Tax on a distribution.  

Look at Schedule 2 to see the type of tax you were assessed.  There are a variety of reasons why an Additional Tax may be due.

Click this link for more info on Schedule 2. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies