Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

My income was from social security

2 Replies
Expert Alumni

My income was from social security

TurboTax determines how much, if any, of your Social Security benefits is included in taxable income. 

IRS publication 915 reads:


"How Much Is Taxable?


"If part of your benefits are taxable, how much is taxable depends on the total amount of your benefits and other income. Generally, the higher that total amount, the greater the taxable part of your benefits.


"Maximum taxable part.


Generally, up to 50% of your benefits will be taxable. However, up to 85% of your benefits can be taxable if either of the following situations applies to you. 

  • The total of one-half of your benefits and all your other income is more than $34,000 ($44,000 if you are married filing jointly).
  • You are married filing separately and lived with your spouse at any time during 2019."
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Level 15

My income was from social security

If you only get SS it is not taxable and you do not have to file a return. And there is no benefit in claiming dependents or deductions. And you can't efile a return with no taxable income. If you want to file you will have to print and mail it.


Or you can try adding $1 of interest to let you efile. Make up a fake 1099Int
Enter a 1099-Int under
Wages & Income
Interest and Dividends
Interest on 1099INT - Click the Start or Update button

Put the interest amount in box 1

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings