Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My husband passed in Sept. of 2015. Hi retirement kept coming thru March of 2016 then changed to my name. Do I need to file a return in his name to show that income then show the April thru Dec.income on my return on my return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

My husband passed in Sept. of 2015. Hi retirement kept coming thru March of 2016 then changed to my name. Do I need to file a return in his name to show that income then show the April thru Dec.income on my return on my return?

No, you cannot not file a 2016 tax return in his name.  Legally, distributions to your husband were not permissible after the date of his death.  Contact the payer to obtain corrected 2015 and 2016 Forms 1099-R to show the amounts distributed after the date of his death as being distributions made to you as beneficiary instead.

If you filed a joint tax return for 2015, the corrections to the 2015 Forms 1099-R probably will not result in a change to your 2015 tax return for which you would need to file an amendment, but you should check to be sure.

With the corrected 2016 Form 1099-R for 2016 distributions you'll file this on your own 2016 tax return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
dmertz
Level 15

No, you cannot not file a 2016 tax return in his name.  Legally, distributions to your husband were not permissible after the date of his death.  Contact the payer to obtain corrected 2015 and 2016 Forms 1099-R to show the amounts distributed after the date of his death as being distributions made to you as beneficiary instead.

If you filed a joint tax return for 2015, the corrections to the 2015 Forms 1099-R probably will not result in a change to your 2015 tax return for which you would need to file an amendment, but you should check to be sure.

With the corrected 2016 Form 1099-R for 2016 distributions you'll file this on your own 2016 tax return.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies