turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

poseyjm

My broker gave me more than my RMD, then issued a 5498 to offset the over amount. How do I report this?

Form 5498 was issued for the overpayment and subsequent reversal of my RMD. The 1099R shows the entire RMD plus this overpayment as taxable amount.  How do I report this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

My broker gave me more than my RMD, then issued a 5498 to offset the over amount. How do I report this?

Form 5498 is informational only.  When you go through the 1099-R interview, you will be asked "What did you do with the funds?''  

1. Select the first option ''You moved the money to another retirement account''.  
  2. Then below that, select the last option ''You did a combination of things with it''.   
  3. Then you can indicate the amount that was returned to the account.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Form 5498 is informational only.  When you go through the 1099-R interview, you will be asked "What did you do with the funds?''  

1. Select the first option ''You moved the money to another retirement account''.  
  2. Then below that, select the last option ''You did a combination of things with it''.   
  3. Then you can indicate the amount that was returned to the account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies