turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

EJ10

My 2017 form 1099R has a distribution code (JP). When entered, it says we need to amend our 2016 return. We copied 2016 return, saved it w/different name. Now what?

Box 1 has gross distribution and Box 2a has an amount.  Box 4 shows zero withheld.  After making a copy of our original Turbo Tax 2016 forms, we went to Deductions & Credits -> Retirement and Investments -> Traditional and Roth IRA Contributions and answered the questions.  It says we now owe $366. 

We had $0 taxable income  on our original 1040 for 2016. The 1099R  we have for 2017, which has the JP code (box 7), has box 1 as $3328.69 , $551.69 (box 2a) is the taxable amount.  We did not feel confident in our answers to the prompts we received while creating our 1040x.  Does it seem correct that we would owe this much ($366)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

My 2017 form 1099R has a distribution code (JP). When entered, it says we need to amend our 2016 return. We copied 2016 return, saved it w/different name. Now what?

sounds high. If you are not confident of the answers you provided, delete that 1099-R, and try again.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

sounds high. If you are not confident of the answers you provided, delete that 1099-R, and try again.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies