turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

annodb53

My 1099-R has 13 boxes while turbo tax shows 16. How do I reconcile these?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

The Form 1099-R instructions state, boxes 12-17 are only for the issuer's convenience and need not be reported to IRS unless state or local income tax was withheld from the distribution, boxes 14 and 17 may show the part of the distribution subject to state and/or local tax.

Box 13 is for the State ID.  It isn't required if no state taxes withheld. 

...and Make sure it's not A CSA- or CSF-1099-R that you have in your possession ....those are different form a plain 1099-R.  also make sure it's not a 2019 1099-R

The standard 2020 1099-R forms were renumbered for 2020.  

Last year's boxes 12,13,14, are now numbered 14,15,16. 

.....................( While CSA/CSF-1099-R forms still use boxes 12,13,14 ).

IF your standard 1099-R form is using 12,13,14 for the state entries...then either

a)  it is a 2019 tax form, that shouldn't go in this year

...or.....

b)   the issuer failed to update their forms to the Proper 2020 format for those boxes.  ....( have one report that Ohio OPERS may have failed to upgrade their 2020 1099-R form to the proper 2020 box labelling)

for b) you need to call the issuer, and find out if they are going to correct their screw-up.

IF numbered properly, box 16 is commonly empty on most 1099-R forms.  Usually because the value of box 2a is automatically used in it's place  (or the Federally-taxable amount of box 1 if box 2a is empty).

NY is especially picky about this, and entering the value of box 2a into box 16 should fix that (or the federally-taxable amount of box 1 if box 2a is empty).

My Federal+NC software automatically back-fills box 16 with the value in box 2a, as  I proceed to properly answer the pages that follow the main form...if I left box 16  empty the first time thru.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies