Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

josephpgolan
Returning Member

Why are the calculations on the "Social Security Benefits Worksheet" on not shown in either the displayed or the printed form for lines 2 through 19 in 2016 Premier?

Why Not?This is the 2nd time I am asking this question. The first time it was listed in my profile but has now disappeared and I never got an answer. Thank you

The original question had a reference of 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/3725266 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Why are the calculations on the "Social Security Benefits Worksheet" on not shown in either the displayed or the printed form for lines 2 through 19 in 2016 Premier?

The calculated amount on line 20 does not always come from lines 2-19.  If you right-click on the amount on line 20 , then choose Data Source from the drop-down list that appears, you'll see where this calculated amount comes from. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anita01

what amount shows on line A of the worksheet?
josephpgolan
Returning Member

Line A has the amounts received by my spouse and myself, the sum is just over $45,000
josephpgolan
Returning Member

Line 1 of the sheet reflects that total, Line 20 has an amount that is 85% of line 1. line2 2 through 19 are blank.
josephpgolan
Returning Member

Thank you I see what you are talking about. The strange thing is if I manually perform the calculations for lines 2-19, I come up with the same number for line 20
Anita01

The fact of the calculation being done on a different worksheet doesn't imply that the result will always be different.  It's simply a worksheet that needs to be used to make sure the amount is calculated under the right circumstances.  It might have produced a different number and did so for many people, so it had to be used in case it did produce a different number for you too.  There are actually three different types of worksheets that can be used, and must be, if the circumstances call for it.  Sometimes the answer might be the same on any two but they always need to be used, just in case.

Just for your own information, you can always use a right-click on the number to find the data source.  Some fields don't offer this but, in the desktop version you're using, the data sourcing is a very valuable tool for most fields.  Sometimes, when you right-click, you'll see what looks like a little popsicle appear to the left or right of the number.  You can click right on that popsicle and you'll be taken to the worksheet or form that serves as the source for the calculation of the field.  Other times, you'll see the Data Source choice in the drop-down.
Anita01

The calculated amount on line 20 does not always come from lines 2-19.  If you right-click on the amount on line 20 , then choose Data Source from the drop-down list that appears, you'll see where this calculated amount comes from. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies