turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kira1

Am I suppose to add my mother's social security number when filing as a dependent?

My brother and I have both filed on Turbotax. My brother (22) had to input my mother's social security number, I, (17) however, did not see where to insert her information. Is there something that I did wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DDollar
Expert Alumni

Am I suppose to add my mother's social security number when filing as a dependent?

No, you do not include the social security number of the person that claimed (or will claim) you as a dependent.  You simply answer yes to the question: Can someone else claim you as a dependent?  in the "My Info" section of the step by step interview.

View solution in original post

11 Replies

Did your brother claim your mom as his dependent by mistake?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kira1

I don't think so?

I cannot think of a reason why your brother would need Mom's SSN on his return.
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
kira1

I called my mom and she was confused too, maybe he filed something different?

Did he have to fill out papers for school financial aid?
kira1

Yes he was in college last year

He was likely working on his FAFSA forms.

No worries for you.. you do not need Mom's SSN for your return.
DDollar
Expert Alumni

No, you do not include the social security number of the person that claimed (or will claim) you as a dependent.  You simply answer yes to the question: Can someone else claim you as a dependent?  in the "My Info" section of the step by step interview.

If the dependent has unearned income is subject to form 8615 (kiddie tax) then the parents SSN is required.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Just thought of that--glad you did too.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies