turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is there a turbo tax CPA that can change my 2019 1099-R to non taxable since my husband is permanently disabled?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Is there a turbo tax CPA that can change my 2019 1099-R to non taxable since my husband is permanently disabled?

No one has the power to make something that is taxable be nontaxable. What is the code on your 1099-R? When did he become disabled?

2014 but got approved in 2019.  the 1099 R is from my work 401K and we bought a house and used that for the main reason to withdraw the $22,000 from the 401k.  i turned 55 in Sept of that year and it came as "taxable"   .   Also because he hadnt been working for 5 yrs, BECAUSE OF DISABILITY, we needed to borrow that money.  It shouldn't be taxable but they say we need to have a CPA change the 1099-R to have that box checked and send to the IRS.  Wondering if Turbo Tax has a CPA that can do this?

LenaH
Employee Tax Expert

No. The only one that can change your 1099-R is the financial institution that issued it to you. Unless you qualify for an exception, you’ll pay a 10% additional tax penalty on the taxable amount of early distributions from your retirement account before reaching age 59 1/2.

There are exceptions to the 10% tax penalty for early distributions:

• Death or total and permanent disability (you must be totally and permanently disabled)
  • Series of substantially equal periodic payments based on life expectancy
  • Qualified first-time homebuyer distributions up to $10,000
  • Qualified higher-education expenses
  • Certain medical insurance premiums paid while unemployed
  • Unreimbursed medical expenses that are more than a certain amount of your adjusted gross income
  • IRS levy
  • Certain distributions to qualified military reservists called to active duty
  • COVID-19 coronavirus-related distributions of up to $100,000 from January 1 to December 30, 2020

Once you enter the distribution information from your 1099-R form, TurboTax will help you check for any exceptions that could reduce the tax.

Topic No. 557 Additional Tax on Early Distributions from Traditional and Roth IRAs

Retirement Topics - Exceptions to Tax on Early Distributions

@debe1964

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies