Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IRS Contribution Worksheet line 14

All of mine and my spouse's IRA contribution is non-deductible.  I've entered the same numbers on lines 9, 13, and 14.  I'm getting an error message that line 14 should not be more than 0.  

Line 14 seems to be duplicative of line 13; both ask for amount of non-deductible traditional IRA contributions.  Why am I getting the error message?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

Leave line 14 blank.  The instruction for line 14 should read, "Amount on line 12 you elect to make nondeductible."  TurboTax removed the original line 12 when the age limit for making a traditional IRA contribution was removed and failed to change the instruction when the remaining lines were renumbered.

Note, however, that you should be making entries in step-by-step mode, not in forms mode.

Thank you. 

I entered the IRA contributions through the step-by-step questionnaire so the information that appears on the lines must have been populated by Turbo Tax

The error message appeared when I was going through the Federal Review step.

dmertz
Level 15

Apparently you entered the traditional IRA contribution before completing the entry of your income and at that point your traditional IRA contribution was determined to be deductible and you elected for it to be made nondeductible.  Now that you've entered all of your income and the contribution is required to be nondeductible, delete the entry from line 14.

Thank you very much.  I'll do that.

I never realized you had to input information into Turbo Tax a certain way.  I've historically entered information when I have it as I wait for all the 1099s.  I appreciate the tidbit.

dmertz
Level 15

Things don't have to be entered in a certain order, but you do have to anticipate the effects of adding things out of order, particularly the effects on items that depend on AGI.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies