turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

drtej222
Returning Member

IRA contribution while having 401k account.

my company offer 401k and I have 401k account, I had contributed in 401k account previous year and still maintained my account, but this year I have not contributed in my 401k . can I contribute to IRA account for tax deduction while having active 401k account but not contributing into it?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Yes, you can contribute to an IRA even if you have a 401(k) plan at work.  However, your deduction for the IRA may be limited or not allowed based on your Modified Adjusted Gross Income.

Go to this IRS website for information on contributions to an IRA - https://www.irs.gov/retirement-plans/2019-ira-deduction-limits-effect-of-modified-agi-on-deduction-i...

IRA contribution limit if under age 50 in 2019 is $6,000 and $7,000 if age 50 or older.

dmertz
Level 15

It's the deduction for a traditional IRA contribution that might be limited by MAGI, not the contribution itself. 

If you are not an active participant in an employer plan you will not be subject to the limitation.  With respect to the 401(k), active participation means that additions are made to your 401(k) either by you or by your employer for the plan year ending with or within the tax year for which the IRA contribution is being made.  Additions can be employer contributions such as matching contributions or from forfeitures by employees who leave the company before becoming fully vested in employer contributions.  You will also be an active participant if your employer provides you with a pension plan in addition to the 401(k), but these are becoming less common.  It can also be complicated to determine which years you actively participated if the plan uses a fiscal year instead of a calendar year Your employer will indicate to you and the IRS that you are an active participant for a particular calendar year by marking box 13 Retirement plan on your W-2 for that year.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies