turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

brint004

Suspect bug in program. Federal retirement taxable 45,866 being assessed 10% penalty early withdrawal - I am 67.

It looks like my Federal pension is being treated as an IRA.  It tells me that I made a 45,866 deduction. This was the taxable amount of my pension. I entered it right.  It tells me I owe 4,587 in early withdrawal penalty.    My IRA did have a 14,500 taxable gross distribution.  But they are not the same.  And anyway I am 67 years old so the early withdrawal would not apply.

By the way, the program is also telling me that I did not finish doing my residential property tax input.  I triple checked.  It is there.  It still wants me to go back and complete it.  Doesn't matter, TurboTax tells me I am claiming the Standard deduction.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Suspect bug in program. Federal retirement taxable 45,866 being assessed 10% penalty early withdrawal - I am 67.

entering the wrong Distribution Code for your 1099-R can result in form 5329 with a 10% penalty.

View solution in original post

14 Replies
brint004

One mistake  I said that TurboTax tells me that I made a 45,866 deduction. What I meant was a 45,866 withdrawal.  Sorry.

Have you checked the date of birth entered in My Info?
**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And made sure each 1099R is assigned to you and not your spouse if married.  Is your spouse under 59 1/2?
brint004

My personal info birth shows correct date 1951, Wifes is also correct 1952  we are both over 65.   Info on 1099R's carried over from last year.  Correct then, correct now.

This is the first report I’ve seen of this.  Try updating your program.  Go up to Online- Check for Updates.  I’ll ask around and ask the moderator.

What code is in box 7 on the 1099-R?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
brint004

In both 1099R's it is 7
brint004

Whoa!  For the Federal Pension it was coded a 1.  Thank You all!!!

Where do you see any penalty?    A code 7 never has an early distribution penalty reguardless of age.

You appear to be using the CD/download version - switch to the forms mode.
Is there a 5329 form in the forms list - if so what line is there an amount on?
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Then you should get a corrected 1099-R from the insurer since you are over 59 1/2.
BobB7

Did the 1099-R have an incorrect Box 7 code or did you type it wrong?
brint004

My Bad.  The basic data got rolled over but the error really had to be mine.  Everything corrected fine once I changed that entry to the right one.

entering the wrong Distribution Code for your 1099-R can result in form 5329 with a 10% penalty.

You said:

"By the way, the program is also telling me that I did not finish doing my residential property tax input.  I triple checked.  It is there.  It still wants me to go back and complete it.  Doesn't matter, TurboTax tells me I am claiming the Standard deduction."

For 2918 many taxpayers that itemized in the past will find that they can no longer itemize because the standard deduction has doubled so all of their itemized deduction s no longer exceed the standard deduction.

Only if all itemized deductions exceed the standard deduction will it be of benefit.

Not all itemized deductions count the full amount. Medical expenses are reduced by 7.5% of AGI so if your AGI is $30,000, for example, then only medical expenses more than $2,250 would be an itemized deduction.

The 2018 tax law also caps the total of Sales tax OR State and local income tax, Property (real estate and personal property) taxes at $10,000.

You can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by using the Search Topics for "itemized deductions, choosing" (under "My Account, Tools" in the online versions). Click on "Change my deduction". That will display the actual amount of itemized deductions vs. the standard deduction. (Be sure to uncheck "Change my deduction" after checking it so you do not lock in the wrong deduction.

2018 standard deductions

$12,000 Single
$18,000 Head of Household
$24,000 Married Jointly

Add an additional $1,300 for over age 65 or blind
This amount increases to $1,600 if the taxpayer is also unmarried.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies