turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jimrest

In 2016 TurboTax, "Filing as surviving spouse" shows on the line for the deceased instead of the line for the surviving spouse.

My mom (the surviving spouse) is filing Married Filing Jointly and this is in TN.  I tried putting my dad (the deceased) as the primary filer and then switched that to my mom as the primary filer, and in both cases, "Filing as surviving spouse" shows on the signature line for my dad and has his occupation to the right.  Isn't "Filing as surviving spouse" supposed to be on the signature line for the surviving spouse?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DianeW
Expert Alumni

In 2016 TurboTax, "Filing as surviving spouse" shows on the line for the deceased instead of the line for the surviving spouse.

No.  The reason for this is because the deceased cannot sign the tax return, therefore this statement replaces the signature.  The surviving spouse will sign the tax return as usual, whether by a signature pin for e-file or physical signature for paper file.

JimHMargaretEB
Returning Member

What if I want to efile but do not have my deceased spouses PIN. He is the one who had always done our taxes.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies