turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mytta104

Can I deduct IRA contributions if I am self-employed, but also receiving payments from a previous employer's retirement plan?

I am retired drawing a pension, but am self-employed doing consulting work. I have reportable income from my business and make contributions to an IRA. I file a joint return with my spouse, who's covered by a retirement plan at work.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Hal_Al
Level 15

Can I deduct IRA contributions if I am self-employed, but also receiving payments from a previous employer's retirement plan?

If you receive retirement benefits, from a previous employer's plan, you are not considered to be an active participant in a retirement plan. Reference: Publication 590, page 14.

Your ability to make a deduction is limited by your spouse being an active participant, but those income limits are higher than if you were a participant. Reference: https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/081414/can-i-deduct-my-individual-retirement-account-ira-co...

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Hal_Al
Level 15

If you receive retirement benefits, from a previous employer's plan, you are not considered to be an active participant in a retirement plan. Reference: Publication 590, page 14.

Your ability to make a deduction is limited by your spouse being an active participant, but those income limits are higher than if you were a participant. Reference: https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/081414/can-i-deduct-my-individual-retirement-account-ira-co...

Phillip1

You can make deductible IRA contributions as long as you have earned income and you are under the age of 70.5. Your contribution is either the contribution limit of 6,500 dollars (assuming you are over 50) or your earned income (your self-employment income). You cannot make traditional IRA contributions if you over the age of 70.5.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies