Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We owe $18,000 on our mortgage, would it be wise if I took $18,000 out of my 401K via my employer to pay it off? We currently have $78K +- in that account.

We also have a 2nd 401K with approx. $11,000 and I have a retirement plan with UPSF (25 years of service) If I do pay the mortgage off, I will definitely increase my contributions to the 401K I have with Old Dominion Freight Line.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

We owe $18,000 on our mortgage, would it be wise if I took $18,000 out of my 401K via my employer to pay it off? We currently have $78K +- in that account.

If you are under age 59 1/2, you will get hit with an early withdrawal penalty of 10%, plus pay regular income tax on it.

So if in the 25% tax bracket and 10% penalty plus state taxes (if in a taxed state), that can be approx. 40% in taxes.  Personal decision, but that is a lot of taxes, when you could pay extra on the mortgage and crack it out shortly. 

Below is a link to the tax brackets for 2017 (based on current tax law).

http://www.savingtoinvest.com/federal-irs-tax-brackets-tax-rates-and-other-tax-updates/

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you are under age 59 1/2, you will get hit with an early withdrawal penalty of 10%, plus pay regular income tax on it.

So if in the 25% tax bracket and 10% penalty plus state taxes (if in a taxed state), that can be approx. 40% in taxes.  Personal decision, but that is a lot of taxes, when you could pay extra on the mortgage and crack it out shortly. 

Below is a link to the tax brackets for 2017 (based on current tax law).

http://www.savingtoinvest.com/federal-irs-tax-brackets-tax-rates-and-other-tax-updates/

Also, 401(k) plans are protected in bankruptcy, but homes generally are not.

Also, 401(k) plans are protected in bankruptcy, but homes generally are not.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies