turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Received 1099-R distribution code G which was a direct 100% transfer from one IRA to another. I could inter the payers info, but did not see where the receiving company.

Where do I inter the receiving company info in turbo tax on a direct IRA rollover? 100% was transferred.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Received 1099-R distribution code G which was a direct 100% transfer from one IRA to another. I could inter the payers info, but did not see where the receiving company.

Code G means direct rollover and it will not be taxed at all.  You don't need to enter where you moved it.  But just to warn you the Income Summary and Review screens will show the full amount as income and make it look like it's being taxed.  But it's not, you have to look at the actual 1040 or 1040A and see that the taxable amount is zero and has the word ROLLOVER by it.
FrankF1

No, you don't need to include the receiving company information from your rollover on your tax return.

To record your rollover using TurboTax

If you have already started your return 

1. Select the TurboTax "Search" button located near the top right of your screen
  2. Type "1099-r" into the search box
  3. Click on "Jump to 1099-r" from the results list
  4. TurboTax will ask you about your rollover distribution on a series of screens. Answer the questions on each screen. TurboTax will guide you through what is needed to record your rollover distribution. Press “Continue” after finishing your entries on each screen

when i do what is said here I am getting taxed on my amount

If you are looking at a summary screen or review screen those show the full amount as income and lump a lot of stuff together. You need to check the actual 1040 and make sure it’s right.   For 1099R check 1040 line 4b for any taxable amount.  If it was a rollover it should say ROLLOVER by it.

i'm not sure i understand I enter the infos from the boxes and i go from getting money back to owing money where do i check my 1040?

i called the institution who made the 1099R and they told me that because i rolled it to a roth IRA and not a traditional IRA I am getting taxed

That's true.  That is a conversion not a rollover.  You owe tax on it.  Did they take any withholding out?  What code is in box 7?  What did you move it from?  A 401K or a Traditional IRA?  Why did you transfer it to a ROTH?  Didn't they tell you it would be taxable?

no witholding, the code in the box is G which is direct roolover it was a profit sharing from worrk rooled over to a roth IRA. nobody told me i would be taxed

Sorry,  you should have rolled it to a Traditional IRA.  
alanwilkerson53
Returning Member

With Turbotax 2019 how do you view the forms themselves? I don't see a place for that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies