turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I retired in August of 2016 with 100% disability at the age of 58. My employer retirement age is 55. Is the retirement income on the 1099-r taxable?

When I enter the info and indicate that I am disabled (box 7 with the #3) my return drops by hundreds. If it isn't taxable should it drop my return and if so, is this due to it putting me in a higher tax bracket?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I retired in August of 2016 with 100% disability at the age of 58. My employer retirement age is 55. Is the retirement income on the 1099-r taxable?

If it says code 3 (disability) in box 7 of your 1099-R, then it is not taxable and Turbo Tax treats it as such.  It's still reportable, but not taxable.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

When I enter the gross distribution and mark that I am disabled (box 7 with the #3 in it) my return drops by $600. Is this because while the money isn't taxable it puts me in a higher tax bracket?

If it says code 3 (disability) in box 7 of your 1099-R, then it is not taxable and Turbo Tax treats it as such.  It's still reportable, but not taxable.

dmertz
Level 15

It's taxable, it's just not subject to penalty.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies