Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If i open a IRA account before april can i get a tax deduction for that and how much can i a tax credit from

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

If i open a IRA account before april can i get a tax deduction for that and how much can i a tax credit from

If you don't have an IRA and are eligible to open one, or if you have one but haven't maxed out your contributions for 2016, you can make contributions up until April 18, 2017 and have them counted as 2016 tax deductions. 

For every $1000 you deposit, you will save between $150 and $280 on your tax return.  Either getting a larger refund or reducing your tax owed.  But you will have $1000 less in your bank account to use for whatever you were saving it for.  And once you put money into an IRA, there are lots of rules and penalties for when you can take it out.

IRAs are a great retirement planning tool. But they are not just a simple way of increasing your refund.  There is a lot to consider.  IRA contribution deductions

If you contribute to an IRA, you may also qualify you for the Saver's Credit, which may increase your refund. What is the Saver's Credit

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies