turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sydsheehy

If I make the same amount as last year between my social security and my extra work I do from home, why am I still paying the same tax with a $13,600 deduction?

I am self employed and work from home.  $24,274 from Social Security and $10,150 from business income and $2,098 from small pension.  Almost same as last year.  Why am I paying basically same tax as last year when my personal deduction is now $13,600?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JulieR
Expert Alumni

If I make the same amount as last year between my social security and my extra work I do from home, why am I still paying the same tax with a $13,600 deduction?

Many taxpayers are seeing unexpected results when preparing their tax returns due to changes in the tax law implemented by Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA). Please see the following IRS link outlining the changes. https://www.irs.gov/tax-reform

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JulieR
Expert Alumni

Many taxpayers are seeing unexpected results when preparing their tax returns due to changes in the tax law implemented by Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA). Please see the following IRS link outlining the changes. https://www.irs.gov/tax-reform

sydsheehy

Sorry JulieR.  This is over my head.  I'm 76 and get social security, a small pension and still have to work.  Do I add my social security, pension and work income together to get my total income?  Where does the !3,600 deduction come in to play?
JulieR
Expert Alumni

You'll enter all your income in the return.  The program will calculate the percentage of your Social Security benefits are taxable.  The $13,600 you refer to is the Standard Deduction which reduces your taxable income.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies