turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

If I'm not retired but my dependant is and because of total disability, how do I answer TurboTax when asked about retirement

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If I'm not retired but my dependant is and because of total disability, how do I answer TurboTax when asked about retirement

Where are you being asked about retirement?    We cannot see your screen or your tax return so we do not know where you are in the program.  Who is your dependent?  You would not be asked if your dependent is retired.  We need to know what specific question(s) you are trying to answer in order to help you.

You do not enter your dependent's income on your own tax return.  You have not mentioned whether your dependent is your disabled child or another adult who lives with you or who you support.  If your dependent has retirement or disability income, it does not go on your tax return.  It goes on the dependent's return.....if the dependent needs to file a return at all.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

And....

You are posting from TurboTax Live.  You can arrange for the Live help you are paying the extra fee for with your questions from  5 a.m. to 5 p.m. Pacific time  Monday- Friday

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4124827-how-do-i-connect-with-a-tax-expert-in-turbotax-live

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

I put my aunt in the claim dependent section, now I found out that she has her own pension but she live with me, and I am taking care of her expenses. Am I filling wrong? Is it will make my refund delay?

@Spukklanan  wrote:

I put my aunt in the claim dependent section, now I found out that she has her own pension but she live with me, and I am taking care of her expenses. Am I filling wrong? Is it will make my refund delay?

If her pension payments for the year are $4,300 or more then you cannot claim her as a dependent.   

Manage cookies