rbaierwa

IF I convert a stock in a traditional IRA, that has a gain, to a Roth IRA, will that gain be considered taxable after the transfer? I know the value of the transfer is.

If the asset value of the stock / fund being converted to Roth from a non Roth account is say worth $2,000 and has a gain of $500, what will be the taxable amount of the conversion.....$2000 as income or $1500 income and cap gain of $500?
Thank you.
Bsch4477

The asset is taxed on its value at the time of conversion. Capital gains is not relevant. 

The total conversion amount is ALL taxed as ordinary income ... cap gains/losses are irrelevant in a retirement account.

rbaierwa

Thank you very much Critter-3. I thought that would be the case but wanted to make sure I was not missing something. Thanks again.