turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I withdrew my basis only of my Roth IRA. The IRS is sayig I should fill out a 8606 but I am unsure what to put in line 19 because I withdrew contributions only.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

I withdrew my basis only of my Roth IRA. The IRS is sayig I should fill out a 8606 but I am unsure what to put in line 19 because I withdrew contributions only.

You enter your total contribution withdrawal on Line 19, and then your basis in those withdrawals on Line 22.  For you, the numbers will be the same and when you do the math Line 23 will be "zero".

Note that some distributions are not entered on Line 19. Click here for a list of distributions that do not go on Line 19, from the Form 8606 Instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
DavidS127
Expert Alumni

You enter your total contribution withdrawal on Line 19, and then your basis in those withdrawals on Line 22.  For you, the numbers will be the same and when you do the math Line 23 will be "zero".

Note that some distributions are not entered on Line 19. Click here for a list of distributions that do not go on Line 19, from the Form 8606 Instructions.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks, I was unsure because the 8606 referred to line 19 AS UNQUALIFIED AND ME TAKING OUT ONLY MY BASIS SEEMED QUALIFIED. THANKS!

dmertz
Level 15

A qualified distribution is one where at the time of the distribution you had reached age 59½ and it had been at least 5 years from the beginning of the year for which you first made a Roth IRA contribution.  If the IRS is asking for Form 8606 it means that the Form 1099-R has code J on box 7 indicating that you were under age 59½ at the time of the distribution.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies