melaniecoghill

I withdrew my basis only of my Roth IRA. The IRS is sayig I should fill out a 8606 but I am unsure what to put in line 19 because I withdrew contributions only.

DavidS127

You enter your total contribution withdrawal on Line 19, and then your basis in those withdrawals on Line 22.  For you, the numbers will be the same and when you do the math Line 23 will be "zero".

Note that some distributions are not entered on Line 19. Click here for a list of distributions that do not go on Line 19, from the Form 8606 Instructions.

DavidS127

melaniecoghill

Thanks, I was unsure because the 8606 referred to line 19 AS UNQUALIFIED AND ME TAKING OUT ONLY MY BASIS SEEMED QUALIFIED. THANKS!

dmertz

A qualified distribution is one where at the time of the distribution you had reached age 59½ and it had been at least 5 years from the beginning of the year for which you first made a Roth IRA contribution.  If the IRS is asking for Form 8606 it means that the Form 1099-R has code J on box 7 indicating that you were under age 59½ at the time of the distribution.