turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

K1 distribution taxable?

My husband was in a partnership with some friends where they each paid a monthly amount and invested in the stock market. He passed away and a few months later I withdrew the money. On the K1 there is nothing in any of the boxes in Part III, only Parts I and II.  I inherited the partnership as the beneficiary but I am still the surviving spouse. Is the distribution taxable?  Also, when I got the K1 form, it’s in his name not mine.  Will this cause any issues?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

K1 distribution taxable?

I will provide some guidance here:

1. Having the K-1 in your husbands name should not cause an issue.  It appears based on your facts that he died in 2017 and you are able to file a joint return in the year of death.
  2. As a partner in a partnership you need to be maintaining a basis schedule of your investment in the partnership.  
  3. The distribution will be taxable to the extent that the proceeds exceed the basis in the partnership.  As such, the key here is to know what your basis is.
  4. Depending on when the $$ were distributed to you, it could be accurate that nothing is reported in Part III.  I assume that the K-1 is marked final.
  5. The other issue is the K-1 may need to be reported in your husbands estate.  You may be below the filing threshold.  Without knowing all the facts here, I would recommend you consult with a tax professional for some advice on how to report this for 2017.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

K1 distribution taxable?

I will provide some guidance here:

1. Having the K-1 in your husbands name should not cause an issue.  It appears based on your facts that he died in 2017 and you are able to file a joint return in the year of death.
  2. As a partner in a partnership you need to be maintaining a basis schedule of your investment in the partnership.  
  3. The distribution will be taxable to the extent that the proceeds exceed the basis in the partnership.  As such, the key here is to know what your basis is.
  4. Depending on when the $$ were distributed to you, it could be accurate that nothing is reported in Part III.  I assume that the K-1 is marked final.
  5. The other issue is the K-1 may need to be reported in your husbands estate.  You may be below the filing threshold.  Without knowing all the facts here, I would recommend you consult with a tax professional for some advice on how to report this for 2017.
*A reminder that posts in a forum such as this do not constitute tax advice.
Also keep in mind the date of replies, as tax law changes.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies