Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

aloktax

I received a letter from Texas Controller of Public Accounts asking me to contact a specific Tax enforcement officer...what could this be about?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I received a letter from Texas Controller of Public Accounts asking me to contact a specific Tax enforcement officer...what could this be about?

Most likely  FRAUD  ... https://comptroller.texas.gov/

Scam Alert

Some taxpayers have received fraudulent statements purporting to be from the Comptroller’s office. If you suspect any correspondence from our agency is fraudulent, please notify us by emailing stop.spoofing@cpa.texas.gov. Learn more

Since TX has no state income tax, we cannot guess.  It sounds like it may be a scam.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

There is a Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts but no Texas Controller of Public Accounts.  They have a phone directory on their web site which will list the division for which the particular employee works.

https://comptroller.texas.gov/about/agency-directory/

OK Comptroller  is an alternate spelling of Controller  and they're both pronounced the same.

dmertz
Level 15

My point is that a letter from the actual Texas authority would use the word 'Comptroller,' not 'Controller.'  If the letter actually has the word 'Controller,' it suggests that the letter is a scam.  The two words actually have different meanings, with comptroller referring specifically to one who is responsible for financial accounting and reporting.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies