turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

xoxo1273

I received a 1099–R on money I received from a life insurance policy after my father passed away last year. Do I have to claim that money?

2 Replies
DanaB27
Employee Tax Expert

I received a 1099–R on money I received from a life insurance policy after my father passed away last year. Do I have to claim that money?

Yes, if the 1099-R is in your name then you will have to include the 1099-R on your tax return:

1. Login to your TurboTax Account 
  2. Click on the Search box on the top and type “1099-R”
  3. Click on “Jump to 1099-R”
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

If you received a 1099-R for it...Yes.

The major part of the $$ are not usually Federally taxable, but many times the policy accrued dividends between the date of death and when the $$ were distributed.....and those earnings are subject to taxes.  But it's all usually handled cleanly in the boxes on the 1099-R.  States would also tax those same earnings.....I personally don't know if any states would tax the main part....some states do tax inheritance $$, but don't know if that includes insurance $$.  BUT, putting in the 1099-R data, along with the box 7 code, would ID the source of the funds and the state software would handle it appropriately.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question

Related Content

Manage cookies