• Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iwansue

I received a 1099 INT for interest on a SEP IRA. I did not withdraw but reinvested. Do I need to claim as Interest ORis it deferred until withdraw it?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MinhT
Expert Alumni

I received a 1099 INT for interest on a SEP IRA. I did not withdraw but reinvested. Do I need to claim as Interest ORis it deferred until withdraw it?

All earnings (interest and dividends) on a qualified retirement account such as a SEP IRA are tax-deferred until they are distributed. You do not report this form 1099-INT on your tax return.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

7 Replies
MinhT
Expert Alumni

All earnings (interest and dividends) on a qualified retirement account such as a SEP IRA are tax-deferred until they are distributed. You do not report this form 1099-INT on your tax return.

View solution in original post

iwansue

should they have sent me a 1099 R and should I tell them? Should I be concerned this was reported to IRS on 1099 INT?
iwansue

OR was it correct they sent the 1099 INT?
MinhT
Expert Alumni

They are correct in sending you form 1099-INT. If the recipient of the interest is your SEP IRA account, the IRS knows that this is tax-deferred. You only receive a form 1099-R if you made a withdrawal from your SEP IRA account.
iwansue

thank you!
MinhT
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
dmertz
Level 15

Under no circumstances should your SEP-IRA custodian be issuing to you a Form 1099-INT related to investments in a SEP-IRA account.  I would question whether or not this account is actually a SEP-IRA.  Contact the custodian of the account to investigate the error by the custodian.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings
v