turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joycefien

I put info in for 1099r. is this the same as w2?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

No, form 1099-R and form W-2 are not the same--they report different types of income.

The W-2 reports your gross wages and federal and state income tax withholding from your job.  To report wages from a W-2:

1. Click on Federal Taxes >  Wages & Income.
  2. In the Wages and Salaries section, click on the Start/Revisit box.  

Form 1099R reports distributions from retirement plans.  These distributions are not always taxable--it depends on the code entered in Box 7 of the Form 1099R.  To report retirement income from form 1099-R:

2. In the Retirement Plans and Social Security section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).  

[Edited | 4/8/2020 |  9:40am PDT]

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies
IreneS
Intuit Alumni

No, form 1099-R and form W-2 are not the same--they report different types of income.

The W-2 reports your gross wages and federal and state income tax withholding from your job.  To report wages from a W-2:

2. In the Wages and Salaries section, click on the Start/Revisit box.  

Form 1099R reports distributions from retirement plans.  These distributions are not always taxable--it depends on the code entered in Box 7 of the Form 1099R.  To report retirement income from form 1099-R:

2. In the Retirement Plans and Social Security section, click on the Start/Revisit box next to IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R).  

[Edited | 4/8/2020 |  9:40am PDT]

I dont have w2 forms i have 1099r and 1099ssa

wedmonso
Returning Member

Hello,

When it comes to Community Property Income adjustments, are they reported differently? I retired in June 2021 so I have a W-2 and a 1099-R.  Should I add the wages tips and other compensation from the W-2 and the gross distribution from the 1099-R together to complete the Community Property Income adjustments. 

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

@wedmonso Yes, you would add your W-2 income and form 1099-R income together for community property income purposes. 

You would be dealing with community property income allocation if you are filing as married-separate. In that case, you combine all income from both spouses and then divide it by two to determine the community income allocated to each spouse. You would then add or subtract from the income reported on your tax return to bring it up to the correct amount for community property income.

For instance, if you made $30,000 in total W-2 income and retirement income combined, and your spouse made $70,000, then you would add $20,000 to your $30,000 income to bring it up to your community property income of $50,000 (half of total income of $100,000.)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies