turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

longdo

I'm retired (67). My son is 17, he has SSA -1099 . He paid more than half his money for his support. Does he has to do his income tax report for himself ?

none
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Phillip1

I'm retired (67). My son is 17, he has SSA -1099 . He paid more than half his money for his support. Does he has to do his income tax report for himself ?

The support issue requires that he pay more than half of all the money paid for his total support. If the money he spent on support is more than half of the entire amount, he will not qualify as a dependent on your return and will claim a personal exemption on his own return if he need to file.

To make sure whether he provided more than half of his support, I recommend completing Worksheet 2 on page 16 of IRS Publication 501.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Phillip1

The support issue requires that he pay more than half of all the money paid for his total support. If the money he spent on support is more than half of the entire amount, he will not qualify as a dependent on your return and will claim a personal exemption on his own return if he need to file.

To make sure whether he provided more than half of his support, I recommend completing Worksheet 2 on page 16 of IRS Publication 501.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies