turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I live in California. I get retirement and social security with no state taxes taken out. Do I need to file a state tax return?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I live in California. I get retirement and social security with no state taxes taken out. Do I need to file a state tax return?

Maybe.  If you receive a 1099-R, you generally need to file a return, as the IRS and the State of California have excellent income document matching programs and will look for your return.

If you calculate that your tax liability is zero for both the IRS and the State of California, you may choose to skip filing the return, but be sure to keep your income documents in case the IRS or the State writes to you about your failure to file.  California is particularly good at following up on failure to file, and I would recommend that you file a return rather than have to correspond with them.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Maybe.  If you receive a 1099-R, you generally need to file a return, as the IRS and the State of California have excellent income document matching programs and will look for your return.

If you calculate that your tax liability is zero for both the IRS and the State of California, you may choose to skip filing the return, but be sure to keep your income documents in case the IRS or the State writes to you about your failure to file.  California is particularly good at following up on failure to file, and I would recommend that you file a return rather than have to correspond with them.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies