turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I inherited $30k from my brother's IRA.I have $17k in expenses from credit cards, ambulance, med and atty fees.Can I deduct any of these as I paid them out of the $30k?

My brother passed away unexpectedly and I inherited approximately $30000 from his retirement plan.  I have approximately $17000 in expenses, including unpaid credit cards, ambulance fees, insurance co-pays and attorney fees.  Am I able to deduct any of these since I paid them out of the $30000 inheritance?  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Ashby

I inherited $30k from my brother's IRA.I have $17k in expenses from credit cards, ambulance, med and atty fees.Can I deduct any of these as I paid them out of the $30k?

No, these are personal bills that you are using funds from inheritance to pay. There is not deduction except for the medical bills which could potentially be an itemized deduction if you have expenses over 7.5% of your gross income.

Does it matter that these were debts of my brother that I paid?
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies