alliereeves94

I have two W2 forms with incorrect social security numbers. I've requested W2c forms but they won't arrive before Apr 18. Turbotax won't let me submit the return. Help.

If I won't get the W2c forms until after the deadline, how should I go about filing? Do I put the correct SSN on each form?

DDollar

You can enter the W-2s with the correct Social Security number (yours) and go ahead and file.  This could cause a problem (depending on how long it takes to get the W-2Cs) as the information on your return won't agree with what the IRS has on file for you.  Another option, and perhaps a better one would be to file an extension and wait until you receive the corrected W-s.  If you do the later, you and have tax due, you should pay your tax with your extension.  See the following FAQ on how to file an extension with TurboTax:

DDollar

alliereeves94

David,

Thanks for the thorough answer and quick reply. Sounds like the best option would be to file for the extension. In my case where I don't owe taxes, there should be no penalty for the extension, correct?