Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have received a W2C in which my Social Security tax withheld changed from $1826 to $2628. Am I due anything as a result of this? Thank you !

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

I have received a W2C in which my Social Security tax withheld changed from $1826 to $2628. Am I due anything as a result of this? Thank you !

I assume that the W-2c is for 2020, not 2021. You would only possibly be due an additional refund if you had more than one employer in 2020. If the Social Security tax (box 4) is the only change on the W-2c, it does not affect your 2020 tax return unless you had more than one employer in 2020.

If you had more than one employer in 2020, the W-2c does not affect your tax return unless the total amount of Social Security tax withheld from all jobs in 2020 is more than $8,537.40. Add up the amount in box 4 of all your W-2s, using the corrected amount on the W-2c. If the total is $8,537.40 or less, you are not due any additional refund. Do not file an amended return. If the total is more than $8,537.40, you had excess Social Security tax withheld, and the increase on the W-2c produced or increased the excess. You should file an amended return to get a refund of the added excess Social Security tax withheld.

If you are filing as married filing jointly, add up only the box 4 amounts for the person who got the W-2c. Do not include the other person's W-2s.

MaryK4
Expert Alumni

If this was a W2C for 2020, you do not have to do anything- this just indicates that your employer paid the deferred social security during 2022. This just corrects the record with the Social Security Administration.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you!

Thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies