Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 1099-r and am filing in Massachusetts. Box 12 (State tax withheld) says NON-TAXABLE. But it shows up as taxable on my state return. How can i correct this?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies
Cindy0H

I have a 1099-r and am filing in Massachusetts. Box 12 (State tax withheld) says NON-TAXABLE. But it shows up as taxable on my state return. How can i correct this?

When you enter this 1099R in the federal return make sure to put MA in the state ID. Then you will see a page about Massachusetts Special Handling (see screenshot). If you complete this it will carry to the Massachusetts return and it will not be taxable. Here's how to get there:

• Federal 
  • Income & Wages
  • Retirement
  • 1099R...update
  • Edit the 1099R... make sure MA is in box 13...continue
  • You will see the special handling page after a couple of clicks

If you have more questions about this, ask in the comment box below.

NEHume

I have a 1099-R from Massachusetts and Box 12 says NON-TAXABLE, but it is showing as Taxable on my State Return.   I never got the special handling page.  Help!

JotikaT2
Employee Tax Expert

Go back to the Federal section of the program. 

1. Select Income & Expenses 
  2. Select IRA,401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R) 
  3. Select "Edit" under the appropriate 1099-R form 
  4. Proceed to answer through the screens until you see "Select Your State".  (You should see this after enter your details from the 1099-R, and the question asking if you are a public safety officer. 

Make sure you have selected Massachusetts here in order to have the state return exclude any nontaxable retirement income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mgxiao
Returning Member

I have a similar question for filing my State return for Massachusetts. I received a full distribution from a life insurance policy, and it has gross distribution and a taxable amount. My MA return is looking to tax the taxable amount at 5% - is this correct? The taxable portion was also included in the Federal tax calculation of my adjusted gross income. I could not find a good answer to MA's treatment of insurance distributions. Thank yu! 

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Massachusetts follows the federal rules.  They will tax surrender amounts above premiums paid.  The MA tax rate for 2020 is 5%.  

How do I indicate on my tax return that the income is not subject to mass state income tax

MayaD
Expert Alumni

Please refer to LindaB1993 to make sure the income is not taxable on your Massachusetts's return. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies