turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I have a 10000 loss in my Roth IRA and the account is at a zero balance. How do I deduct this loss on tax return?

I researched this and it's a legitimate deduction but I'm trying to figure out how to apply it to the return in turbotax.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I have a 10000 loss in my Roth IRA and the account is at a zero balance. How do I deduct this loss on tax return?

Sorry you can no longer deduct ROTH IRA losses after 2017

See this on deducting losses on Roth IRAs

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/investments-and-taxes/are-losses-on-a-roth-ira-tax-deductible/L...

dmertz
Level 15

You are not permitted to claim a deduction for this loss.  If you distributed all of the money in all of your Roth IRAs and had unrecoverable basis in Roth IRA contributions and conversions, you would have a miscellaneous deduction subject to the 2%-of-AGI floor.  Miscellaneous deductions subject to the 2%-of-AGI floor have been suspended through tax year 2025.

If you have other money in Roth IRAs, I would suggest maintaining a Roth IRA balance until at least 2026 when miscellaneous deductions subject to the 2%-of-AGI floor are scheduled to become available again and, if the value in your Roth IRAs at that time is less than your basis in Roth IRA contributions and conversions, consider distributing all of the money from your Roth IRAs so that you can claim the deduction.  Of course if your balance in your other Roth IRAs is greater than your basis Roth IRA contributions and conversions, there is no deduction to be had at all.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies