turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

scoopas21

I got two stimulus checks in 2019. Now it appears turbo tax is including it as taxable income. I thought it wasn't taxable income? How do I reverse that?

The payments were added up by Turbo Tax, and my federal tax due increased a lot.  That doesn't seem correct to me.  My understanding was that the stimulus payments received in 2019 was not taxable income.  How do I make it not taxable on Turbo Tax?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

I got two stimulus checks in 2019. Now it appears turbo tax is including it as taxable income. I thought it wasn't taxable income? How do I reverse that?

IT IS NOT COUNTED AS INCOME AT ANY TIME ...

Your 2020 return starts out by assuming you didn't get any Stimulus payment so it gives you the full amount of the credit  and that is reflected in the Refund-O-Meter.  Then near the end of the interview  you enter how much you actually got in advance  and the  floating refund is adjusted accordingly so you  don't get the credit  twice.

Check line 30.  The Recovery rebate credit is on 1040 line 30.  It either adds to your refund or reduced a tax due.

Before filing,  You can preview the 1040 or print the whole return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-preview-my-turbotax-online-return-before-f...

It would be nice if they would have asked for that information in the beginning of the interview like  in the MY INFO  section  BEFORE you entered in the income   BUT the programmers  did not ASK  us posters in this forum  AND  they probably will not listen to us now and change the interview flow   so I  have been posting this answer A LOT  this year.  

How did you get two checks in 2019? One was issued in 2020, and the other in 2021, Or are you asking about something else?

They may have been issued using the information from the 2019 return but both stimulus payments were advances of the 2020 credit and must be reconciled on the 2020 return per the IRS rules.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies