Solved: I can't get nonemployee compensation for UAW legal services in the correct place. I've followed all previous answers and it still reflects it as self-employment income.

gcooper09

I can't get nonemployee compensation for UAW legal services in the correct place. I've followed all previous answers and it still reflects it as self-employment income.

KrisD

Delete the 1099-MISC you first entered. Re-enter the 1099-MISC following the directions below:

Sign into your account and return. Click the “Pick up where I left off” bar

Click on Federal on the left side-bar, then Wages & Income along the top.

When you get to the Income section, (you may need to click "Show All Income" first) Scroll down to Other Common Income and Click Show more

Click Start or Revisit for Form 1099-MISC

Enter a description for the non-work income, such as “UAW legal services” for the reason and Continue

Click “None of these apply.” at the bottom of the list for “Does one of these uncommon situations apply? And Continue

Answer “No, it didn’t involve work like my main job.” on the next screen and Continue.

Click the year you got the reward and Continue (if you received this income for more than 2 years, the IRS will consider it as self-employment)

Answer “No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money.” on the next screen and continue.

Do you have another 1099-MISC? Click No and Continue

Click Done.

The income will show as a line item on line 21 of Schedule 1 of the 1040 and not as Self-employment. 

KrisD

Click Done.