Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

gcooper09

I can't get nonemployee compensation for UAW legal services in the correct place. I've followed all previous answers and it still reflects it as self-employment income.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

I can't get nonemployee compensation for UAW legal services in the correct place. I've followed all previous answers and it still reflects it as self-employment income.

Delete the 1099-MISC you first entered. Re-enter the 1099-MISC following the directions below:

Sign into your account and return. Click the “Pick up where I left off” bar

Click on Federal on the left side-bar, then Wages & Income along the top.

When you get to the Income section, (you may need to click "Show All Income" first) Scroll down to Other Common Income and Click Show more

Click Start or Revisit for Form 1099-MISC

Enter a description for the non-work income, such as “UAW legal services” for the reason and Continue

Click “None of these apply.” at the bottom of the list for “Does one of these uncommon situations apply? And Continue

Answer “No, it didn’t involve work like my main job.” on the next screen and Continue.

Click the year you got the reward and Continue (if you received this income for more than 2 years, the IRS will consider it as self-employment)

Answer “No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money.” on the next screen and continue.

Do you have another 1099-MISC? Click No and Continue

Click Done.

The income will show as a line item on line 21 of Schedule 1 of the 1040 and not as Self-employment. 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
KrisD
Intuit Alumni

Delete the 1099-MISC you first entered. Re-enter the 1099-MISC following the directions below:

Sign into your account and return. Click the “Pick up where I left off” bar

Click on Federal on the left side-bar, then Wages & Income along the top.

When you get to the Income section, (you may need to click "Show All Income" first) Scroll down to Other Common Income and Click Show more

Click Start or Revisit for Form 1099-MISC

Enter a description for the non-work income, such as “UAW legal services” for the reason and Continue

Click “None of these apply.” at the bottom of the list for “Does one of these uncommon situations apply? And Continue

Answer “No, it didn’t involve work like my main job.” on the next screen and Continue.

Click the year you got the reward and Continue (if you received this income for more than 2 years, the IRS will consider it as self-employment)

Answer “No, it didn’t involve an intent to earn money.” on the next screen and continue.

Do you have another 1099-MISC? Click No and Continue

Click Done.

The income will show as a line item on line 21 of Schedule 1 of the 1040 and not as Self-employment. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies