turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I am using Turbotax Home and Busness 2021 on a Mac. Turbotax incorrectly added $30K to my income stating that I had Excess Retirement Accumulations (not true).

I made no retirement contributions to ANY account in 2021, so how can I have $30K in excess accumulations?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

I am using Turbotax Home and Busness 2021 on a Mac. Turbotax incorrectly added $30K to my income stating that I had Excess Retirement Accumulations (not true).

• The excess accumulation penalty is levied by the IRS when a retirement account owner or a beneficiary fails to withdraw the minimum amount.
  • The minimum amount required is known as the required minimum distribution (RMD).
  • An excess accumulation penalty of 50% excise tax for that year may be charged by the IRS.

How old were you on 12/31/2021?

Are you married ?    Did both of you have contributions to a retirement plan at work (W-2 box 12) ?  If so did you accidentally enter both W-2 forms under the same person ?

No.  Married and file joint return.  My wife is retired, and I am semi-retired.  Neither of us made ANY contributions to a retirement plan anywhere.  We took a distribution, and Turbotax added a 30K to in "Excess Retirement Accumulation" to my return.  This has to be an error.....

Did you enter the distributions  as contributions in the deductions & credits tab by accident ?   Switch to the FORMS mode and look for that "excess" to see where it is being reported (form & line#) and/or to data search where it came from ... this has to be a data entry error somewhere. 

See this TurboTax support FAQ on how to contact Support for further assistance with this issue... - https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/how-do-i-contact-turbotax/00/26991

I think the program is telling you that the distribution you took wasn't enough to cover the RMD.  That is, it was $30,000 short.

@SweetieJean   Good idea ... check the follow up screens in the 1099-R section  and/or check what box 7 code you entered vs what was on the 1099-R form.  Mixing up a 1 & 7  or a 6 & G can reek havoc. 

and if it was an RMD, be sure you check the box that says that.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies