turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

cssk2011

I am pulling out my teachers retirement early from texas it is about 8900. how much I will be taxed? Also can it wait before being taxed the 20% federal withholding?

I am not planning on rolling it over. I would like to know if I can request that they not take the 20% out and I will have the taxes taken out of my tax refund.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I am pulling out my teachers retirement early from texas it is about 8900. how much I will be taxed? Also can it wait before being taxed the 20% federal withholding?

According to a TRS publication, the 20% is mandatory :

"Refunded amounts that represent tax-sheltered contributions are subject to a mandatory 20 percent federal income tax withholding unless you elect to roll over all eligible amounts to another qualied plan or to a traditional Individual Retirement Account (IRA). A 10 percent early withdrawal penalty assessed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may also be applicable. "

"https://www.trs.texas.gov/TRS%20Documents/request_refund.pdf

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

According to a TRS publication, the 20% is mandatory :

"Refunded amounts that represent tax-sheltered contributions are subject to a mandatory 20 percent federal income tax withholding unless you elect to roll over all eligible amounts to another qualied plan or to a traditional Individual Retirement Account (IRA). A 10 percent early withdrawal penalty assessed by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) may also be applicable. "

"https://www.trs.texas.gov/TRS%20Documents/request_refund.pdf

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

The tax depends upon your overall tax situation for 2016.  Try this estimating tool:

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies