turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mcarstens

I am getting a civil service retirement from the government and turbo tax keeps listing it as a military retirement. Is this correct

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

I am getting a civil service retirement from the government and turbo tax keeps listing it as a military retirement. Is this correct

When you say TurboTax is listing as "Military Retirement"  where is that occurring?  Be sure when you enter the 1099-R information and answer the follow on questions that "Federal Government Pension" is selected not "Retired uniform services..."     

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

IF that selection is on a followup page....don't worry about it too much, just set it and don't come back thru if you don't have something else to actually change in the actual 1099-R form.

The follow-up page where that is selected?   What shows on that selection page changes depending on what state you live in.  For some states, they exempt pensions from the US govt form state taxation.....but the page provides selections for several "Public" sources...many of which use the same underlying coding.  Civil Service AND Military pensions may have the same underlying coding....but when you come back thru and edit the 1099-R...the interview selection may reset.....and you need to re-select what the 1099-R belongs to....set it, and leave it alone.  

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies