Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

apierre680
Returning Member

I am being told I don't qualify for the EITC by turbotax, but I most certainly fall under the guidelines. I even used the IRS calculator and it said I qualify.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

I am being told I don't qualify for the EITC by turbotax, but I most certainly fall under the guidelines. I even used the IRS calculator and it said I qualify.

Maybe something you entered in TT affected you,   Did you say you can be claimed as someone else's dependent?   Are you filing married filing separately?   Did you say you are a full-time student

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1899157-what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-earned-income-credit-e...

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit/use-the-eitc-assistant

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
apierre680
Returning Member

Yes. The photo below is from the IRS calculator and I put the exact same information into turbotax. For some reason after I am rejected, I am prompted with the question "Why didn't I meet the age requirements", which I click on and it says "Hmm... we don't have an answer for that." I meet the age requirement, am not a student, definitely make the minimum salary, and filed as single with no dependents. Not sure what to do here.

Capture.JPG

apierre680
Returning Member

To add on to previous post- I have spoken to friends with the same employer/income/status and everything as me who used a different service, such as H&R Block and they received the full benefits of the EITC. Myself, and another friend of mine who also is the same status as me, both used TurboTax and are being told we are not eligible. 

apierre680
Returning Member

FangxiaL
Expert Alumni

Make sure you did not accidentally check that you are claimed as dependent on someone else's taxes.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
apierre680
Returning Member

Confirmed. All my tax information is accurate and up to date. I've gone through dozens of times now to make sure. I already filed and was approved last month, but am now seeking an amendment after hearing about my eligibility. I should have been eligible then as well, obviously, but only just realized recently that I deserved this credit. @FangxiaL 

ahhh the AGI cannot exceed the income limit. Check the rules!

@apierre680  the only other thing I can think of is to check you date of birth under My Info.  Your earned income is under the max but is your AGI also under the max?  I assume you seen this FAQ for qualifications?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/credits-and-deductions/help/what-are-the-qualifications-for-the-ea... 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies