turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ssmttm72

I am answering questions for my NC Retirement income. I qualify for the Bailey state deduction. It is asking what the NC distribution is. Do I list my total income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

I am answering questions for my NC Retirement income. I qualify for the Bailey state deduction. It is asking what the NC distribution is. Do I list my total income?

You want to enter the income that qualifies for the exclusion- the exclusion applies to retirement benefits received from the State's 401 (k) and 457 plans if the retiree had contributed or contracted to contribute to the plan prior to August 12, 1989.
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

1)  For the NC Distribution Amount, you would enter the value of box 2a of that particular 1099-R form.   

2)  IF box 2a is empty or 'unkown", then it would be the Federally-taxable portion of box 1, once that value has been calculated.

NC starts with the Federal AGI as the starting point for it's tax returns.....that Federal AGI includes the box 2a value (or the federally taxable amount of box 1 in that starting AGI).  Once you click on the "Bailey Settlement" button on the followup page (after you enter the main 1099-R, or CSA-1099-R form in the Federal section of the software)...once you click on that Bailey Settlement button, it uses the "North Carolina  Distribution Amount" that you entered and that becomes the $$ value that will be deducted from the Federal AGI to create a new NC-AGI....so that value is critical to be entered.

1099R_NorCar_2014.png

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies